Dear IEEE Finalnd Section members,
We wish you all the best in 2022 and present you the newly elected IEEE Finland Section Board members:
- Chair: Mahdi Pourakbari Kasmaei
- Vice-Chair: Seppo Sierla
- Secretary: Seppo Borenius
- Treasurer: Mohammad Jooshaki
- Young Professional Chair: Sanjay Kumar
- Student Representative: Ronal Bejarano
Congratulations and Happy New Year!
IEEE Finland section invites candidates for IEEE Finland Section board election for the election period of 2022 – 2023. New board members will be selected by electronic voting held at the end of 2021 (date to be announced later).
Positions open for election are the following:
- Section Chair,
- Section Vice Chair,
- Young Professionals Chair and,
- Student Representative.
Please send a brief description of your background and a mission statement (about one A4) for the position of your choice to the Nominating committee (email@example.com) by October 25, 2021.
A brief description of the positions can be found below and the list of current officers can be found at Section Officers – IEEE Finland Section. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the current officers for more details on a specific position. Contact information can be found on the webpage.
IEEE Finland Section board has approximately four meetings in a year. There is always a possibility to join those remotely or if the board members are traveling to face-to-face meetings, the traveling costs are covered by IEEE.
- SECTION CHAIR: The Section Chair serves as Chair for all meetings of the Section. Chair represents the section in official IEEE meetings and has the main responsibility in organizing the Section matters in collaboration with the section board, other officers and chapter chairs.
- SECTION VICE CHAIR: The Section Vice Chair assists the Section Chair in the coordination of all Section activities. At the request of the Section Chair or in the absence of the Section Chair, the Section Vice Chair chairs the meetings. Vice chair also coordinates and acts as the first point-of-contact towards technical chapters.
- SECRETARY: The duties of the Section Secretary includes writing memos of the board meetings and reporting all Finland Section activities to global IEEE organization through IEEE vTools website.
- TREASURER: The duties of the Section Treasurer includes the development of a Section budget for approval by the Section, accounting of all Section funds, keeping financial records, and submitting the Financial Operations Report of the Section to the IEEE Staff Director, Financial Services.
- YOUNG PROFESSIONALS CHAIR: As a chair of young professional activities, you get to put your managerial skills to test by organizing fun-focused activities and events: relaxing get-together events, technical seminars, company visits, visiting lecturers, workshops etc. You also have the possibility to join young professional events abroad. Funding and advisory support for practical matters is available from IEEE Finland Section Board and international R8 Young Professionals-team. Most importantly, you will get important leadership experience.
- STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES: IEEE students are represented through one student member in the Section board. You can organize activities and events in cooperation with young professionals or individually. You also have the possibility to join student events abroad or organize international events in Finland. Funding and advisory support for practical matters is available from IEEE Finland Section Board.
With best regards,
Prof. Jari Nurmi, Tampere University
Chair of the Election Committee
We congratulate the IEEE Fellows of the year 2021 in Finland Section:
Enrique Acha for contributions to power electronics modeling and applications in electrical power system. He has written multiple books related to the topic, wrote journal and conference papers and organized courses as professor of electric power systems in Tampere University.
Mehdi Bennis for contributions to resource optimization in heterogenous and low-latency wireless networks. He works as associate professor of wireless communication in University of Oulu.
Tuomas Virtanen for contribution to sound event detection and source separation. He is professor in Tampere University, leading Audio Research Group.
Welcome to the IEEE Finland SPS/CAS chapter webinar on three core components underyling machine learning methods: data, model and loss function. The webinar will be organized on 10.11. 2020 at 11:00 via Zoom.
Participation is free of charge, registration prior to the event is appreciated.
Alexander Jung received his Phd in signal processing from TU Vienna in 2012. After Post-Doc periods at TU Vienna and ETH Zurich he joined Aalto University as Assistant Professor for Machine Learning in 2015. Alex has first-authored more than ten paper in first-tier journals such as IEEE Transactions on Information Theory and IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. He received a best student paper award at IEEE ICASSP 2011, an Amazon Web Services Machine Learning Award in 2018 and has been selected as Teacher of the Year at the Department of Computer Science in 2018. He currently serves as an associate editor for the IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
IEEE Finland PES chapter and Siemens are going to organize a virtual seminar series to bring together professionals in the energy and industrial sectors. The event shall grow knowledge in the scope of digitalization and innovation as well as how these concepts are applied to the several business models that one might work with in the 2020s. It focuses on the impact of digitalization and its main technologies thus introducing concepts now emerging in these two sectors, including demand-side flexibility and the internet-of-energy (IoE) as well as tools to support current challenges. Although this event is organized by the Finnish branch, Siemens and the IEEE welcome any digitalization/value hacking enthusiast to join this event.
We are happy to announce a new round of IEEE Finland section best student conference and journal paper awards.
We welcome submissions of research papers published between 1st of January and 31st of December 2019 in IEEE conferences or IEEE technical co-sponsored events, IEEE journals or IEEE Transactions. The student must be the first author of the paper and enrolled at a University in Finland at the time of submission of the paper. Detailed participation rules are published here.
The submission deadline is 30th of November, 2020. Please, send you applications to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The nominees will be able to present their work at the online seminar in December 2020. The decision shall be made by the end of the year.
IEEE Finland section board is gathering online for a regular meeting to discuss our plans and activities for the second half of the year 2020.
Between the discussed topics are:
- Cooperation with other societies
- New round of Finland Section Best Student papers award in 2020
- Online and Hybrid activities in the second half of 2020
- Further updates to our we site
|The safety and well-being of our members, volunteers and event participants are of paramount importance to IEEE. We hope you and your families remain in good health and spirits during these unusual times.
IEEE monitors authoritative sources and follows the guidance of those sources as well as all relevant governmental bodies in the communities in which we live and volunteer.
IEEE President Toshio Fukuda, along with IEEE Executive Director Stephen Welby, has requested that “all members avoid conducting in-person IEEE activities in areas impacted by the coronavirus threat and instead maximize the use of our online and virtual alternatives.”
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and rely upon authoritative sources; please keep an eye on future communication from us as more is known about the duration of this health emergency.
This global health crisis is a unique challenge that has impacted many members of the IEEE family. These are difficult times, but we will get through them by working together. Thank you for your support of our shared mission to advance technology for humanity.
Best wishes for your continued safety and well-being,
IEEE Finland board