The treatment of all matters in which the dominant factor is the electrical, wireless, and optical means for the transfer of information associated with the power system domain (i.e., control and monitoring of generation, transmission, and distribution of power), including the investigation, education, and standards development activities related to the following:
- Integrated communications.
- Communication protocol message size, structure, performance requirements and their testing.
- Electrical protection of communication circuits and equipment including personnel safety.
- Design, construction, application, testing and coordination of communication equipment supporting power system functions (e.g., load control, pilot relaying, transfer trip, supervisory control, telemetering, voice communications, and other data communications) through various technologies (e.g., audio tones, power-line carrier, microwave radio, satellites, broadband power-line carrier, and multiplexed networks) for both analog and digital modulations.
- Systems for the management of the associated communications and cybersecurity infrastructures.
- Personnel and equipment safety as it pertains to communication facilities. For example, practices and standards for high-voltage protection of wired (e.g., copper, optical fiber) communication equipment serving power system facilities is within the scope of this Committee.
- Sponsorship and development (either alone or jointly with other Technical Committees and/or organizations) of standards, recommended practices, guides, technical reports, position papers, technical conferences, and sessions on matters related to items herein.