2020 IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability
Sustainability: the pursuit of environmentally sound development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the future.
Source: UN Document A/42/427: Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future, August 1987
2020 Key Dates
|Submission Deadline for papers (or extended abstract)|
|Early registration opens||15-Nov-2019|
|Final Paper submission deadline||15-Jan-2020|
|Student Poster Abstracts submission deadline||15-Feb-2020|
|Early Registration ends||15-Apr-2020|
Review Call for Papers and Topics
Tutorials, Workshops and Papers are solicited for both oral session and informal (poster) presentation from industry, government and academia (including students) covering relevant research, technologies, methodologies, tools and case studies.
For Papers, only original papers that have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere will be considered.
Publisher: The Conference Proceedings will be published in IEEE Xplore®®.
Article Length: Papers (manuscript) must be from 4-8 pages inclusive. Abstracts for submission are 2 pages (“extended abstract”).
Number of Papers: Each author is allowed to present a maximum of two papers. If you have more than two papers accepted, you must register accompanying co-author(s) to present the additional papers.
No Show Policy: Papers will be published in the conference proceedings only if at least one of the authors is officially registered and the paper presented. IEEE reserves the right to exclude a paper from distribution after the conference (e.g., removal from IEEE Xplore) if the paper is not presented at the conference.
Registration: Authors must register for the conference.
- Each full author registration covers a maximum of two papers.
- Student registration will cover a single-paper final submission and presentation.
Authorization to publish: IEEE assumes that material presented at its conferences or submitted to its publications is properly available for general dissemination to the audiences these activities are organized to serve. It is the responsibility of the authors, not IEEE, to determine whether disclosure of their material requires the prior consent of other parties and, if so, to obtain it. In order to ensure that the authors are aware of their responsibilities, signed IEEE Copyright Forms must be collected for all papers accepted for publication.
Plagiarism check: Each paper will be verified using plagiarism checking system(s) to ensure all referenced material is properly cited and not previously published.
Quality: IEEE reserves the right to withhold publishing of proceedings or papers that do not meet the IEEE quality standards.
Authors are requested to submit a paper or extended 2-page abstract.
Accepted and presented papers will be published in the conference proceedings. Content that meet IEEE quality standards will be submitted for inclusion in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library. Note that some papers may be accepted for informal presentation (using posters).
There are two common forms of OA. The first, referred to as “Gold OA”, is an author‐pays approach. The author (Or author’s employer/funding agency) pays a charge to ensure that the final version of an article is made openly available to the public—that is, no subscription is needed to view the article. The second is “Green OA”. In this form of OA, an “as accepted for publication” (that is, not final) version of the article is self‐archived by the author in a public space, such as on a personal Web page or in an institutional repository. Conference authors may post their own versions of their papers as accepted by a conference, to comply with Green OA practice.
To submit an invited presentation without a paper, see the Call for Invited Presentations. For an invited paper, follow the steps below and as directed by the Program Committee.
There several steps to submitting your abstract and paper:
- Paper or Abstract Preparation: Prepare the Paper content using the IEEE SusTech paper template (see Formatting below). Optionally, submit a 2-page extended abstract of the paper for the reviewers. Later the abstract can be easily expanded to the full paper.
- Author Registration: Register a “lead author” with EDAS (if the lead author is not already registered). The lead author will submit the abstract and later the full paper. EDAS will send an email with the password. The author’s email address and the password will be used to access the system to submit the paper or extended abstract.
- Change Password Credentials in EDAS (optional). Change the default password to one that is easier to remember.
- Abstract Submission: Submit the paper or abstract at https://edas.info/N26441. This is a unique site with EDAS for the SusTech 2020 Conference.
- Provide paper title and summary content of the proposed paper (approximately 100 words) – EDAS may refer to this as an “abstract”.
- Add primary author name (use the checkbox “Add yourself as author” if you are indeed an author of the paper). You can add other
authors later and you can change the order of authors.
- Enter Keywords.
- Select the topic(s) with which your paper corresponds.
- Submit, this will lead to a page that acknowledges your paper’s registration and allows you to add authors. A
confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Upload PDF of your paper or abstract.
- To upload your paper right after registering your submission, simply follow the EDAS instructions on the
acknowledgement page. Alternatively, you can upload your paper PDF later from your EDAS homepage.
- Review/Final Paper/Manuscript Submission: When your Paper or Abstract has been accepted by the Program Committee you will receive an email. When your Final paper is ready, login to the EDAS system and select the “My Papers” menu item. EDAS will show your papers. Select your paper and use the ‘Upload Paper’ icon to upload your full paper in PDF. You may upload any number of times until the deadline. If you encounter any warning or errors, see the Formatting section below.
Please contact the Program Committee using this form if you have any questions about submitting your abstract or manuscript.
During the submission process via EDAS, the authors are required to make sure the PDF file and the EDAS registration page for a paper have the same list of authors and the same paper title. Be certain to add all authors in EDAS during the submission process. Fail to comply with this rule and your paper may be withdrawn from the review process. Once reviewed, the listing of authors connected to the paper cannot be changed by the authors in the final manuscript.
Final Paper Preparation
IEEE now requires that Conference papers classified as ‘original-research’ material must have premise/process/outcome/conclusion structure [as described below]:
- Premise (hypothesis): A description of the problem being addressed, and the basic idea to address it. For an applications article, this would be a description of what the application was designed to do.
- Process (experiments): A description of what the authors actually did. For an application article, this would be the detail of the application itself; for a design article, the thought process that went in to the design.
- Outcome (results): What the experiment produced, or how the application performed, or the final design (for a design article).
- Conclusion: A summary of the lessons learned from the paper.
For information on formatting your submission you can refer to the IEEE Author Digital Toolbox at http://ieeeauthorcenter.ieee.org/ and the IEEE Manuscript Templates for Conference Proceedings at http://www.ieee.org/go/conferencepublishing/templates which has standard IEEE Transactions templates for Microsoft Word or LaTeX formats. NOTE: the copyright footer included on the first page must be removed.
The IEEE SusTech paper letter-size template can be downloaded in .doc [here], .PDF[here], or LaTex [here] format. If you do not use the SusTech template, ensure there is no copyright footer on the first page.
The format for the abstract and full paper (manuscript) must satisfy the following requirements:
- Manuscript must be in English
- The manuscript must follow IEEE two-column format (see templates) with single-spaced, ten-point font in the text. The minimum manuscript length is four (4) and the maximum length is eight (8) pages. Papers longer than eight pages will not be accepted for publication. All figures, tables, references, etc. are included in the page limit.
- The order of the authors in the paper must match the order of the authors in the paper registration.
- Authors MUST submit their papers electronically using EDAS as described above.
- Papers must not have a copyright footer on page 1.
- Papers must be submitted in Portable Document Format (PDF) format.
- All fonts must be embedded in the PDF file (in Word, create the PDF with “ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)” option). For MACs use ‘Print to PDF’ process.
- No Bookmarks.
- No hyperlinks. [In Word to remove all hyperlinks in a document, press CTRL+A to select the entire document and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F9.] In some latest versions of Word, internal hyperlinks are added for each footnote; try to disable this feature.
- If there are puzzling margin issues from EDAS, it may be due to the version of Word; go to the Page Layout, Margins and set the left and right margins to 0.62 and save (OK). This may correct the problem.
SusTech uses this process for paper reviews: review paper or 2-page (extended) abstract, then final manuscript.
By using the template, it is easier to develop the paper. The papers (‘review manuscript’, up to 8 pages) are reviewed as required by IEEE and the authors will be notified from EDAS.
Assuming the review papers meet IEEE requirements, there are three acceptance options:
- accepted – the paper is considered ‘final’ (no further edit required), authors need to file their copyright and register and plan to attend and present. If they do want to update their paper, they can do so (‘final manuscript’).
- accepted with minor revisions – a final version of the review paper with revisions as noted by the review comments is needed.
- accepted with major revision – the review paper has some serious shortcomings or quality issues, and a final version with revisions as noted by the reviewers is required.
Note: When the final paper (‘final manuscript’) is uploaded, the authors must file their copyright. We will check the final paper to ensure that the noted issues were addressed. Then the author(s) register and plan to attend and present.
Signed IEEE Copyright Forms must be collected for all papers accepted for publication. Failure to file the copyright will exclude the paper from the proceedings. Copyright is collected when the final paper is uploaded or after the review paper is accepted without further revision.
SusTech has enabled the EDAS IEEE eCopyright function (ECF). With ECF, authors are redirected to an IEEE web site and fill in the IEEE copyright form on the web. The ECF then reports completion of the web form to EDAS, allowing the author to upload the form. Thus, authors do not have to print, fill out and upload copyright forms manually.
Authors of accepted papers can submit copyright forms via the (c) link in the ‘My Papers’ tab, as shown below.
A link can also be found on each paper page.
Authors can amend their submissions online up until the submission deadline. Login to your account and you can upload a new PDF.
If you are unable to submit your paper online, please email the Program Committee by this form or telephone to 1-503-612-9397 (US).
Guidelines for submitting your paper
- Formatting must comply with the stated requirements (see IEEE template).
- Authors must complete the IEEE Copyright Assignment form.
- All papers must be checked for plagiarism.
- All papers must be PDF verified, either with the paper processing system, or through the IEEE PDF eXpress system before submission.
We encourage authors to check their papers for IEEE SUSTECH 2020 using the IEEE PDF eXpress system http://www.pdf-express.org before they are submitted to the conference in EDAS. Here are the basic instructions for using PDF eXpress:
- Dates: Site opens: 15-Oct-19; Submission deadline: 21-Feb-20.
- First-time users: Go to http://www.pdf-express.org. Select “New Users – Click Here“, then enter your email address and a memorable password, and the Conference ID 47890X.
- Previous users: Go to http://www.pdf-express.org. Enter <47890X> for the Conference ID, your email address, and enter the password you used for your old account. When you click “Login“, you’ll receive an error saying you need to set up an account. Simply click “Continue“. By entering your previously used email address and password combination, you will enable your old account for access to the SusTech conference.
- You will receive online and email confirmation of successful account setup.
- For each conference paper, click “Create New Title“.
- Enter identifying text for the paper (title is recommended).
- Click “Submit PDF for checking” or “Submit Source Files for Conversion“.
- Indicate platform, source file type (if applicable), click “Browse” and navigate to file, and click “Upload File“. You will receive online and email confirmation of successful upload.
- You will receive an email with your Checked PDF or the IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF attached. If you submitted a PDF for Checking, the email will show if your file passed or failed.
- If your PDF submitted fails the check: Submit your source file again by clicking “Try again“, Read the PDF Check Report, then click “The PDF Check Report” in the sidebar to get information on possible solutions, or Request Technical Help through your account.
- If you are not satisfied with the IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF: Resubmit your source file with corrections by clicking “Try again“, or if that fails, “Request a Manual Conversion“through your account.
- If the PDF submitted passed the check: If the PDF passed, or you are satisfied with your IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF, submit your IEEE Xplore compatible PDF using the Submission Process above.
For questions regarding PDF eXpress, you can contact the IEEE Publications Support Center. Also, please see related FAQ at: http://www.ieee.org/web/publications/faqs/index.html. Please ensure to quote your PDF eXpress abstract ID in all correspondence.
If you have any questions, please contact the Program Committee using this form.
If you need a travel Visa for the United States, see this page.
- SusTech 2020 Poster Contest Winners May 4, 2020
- Student Poster Contest at SusTech 2020 April 13, 2020
- Keynotes Announced for Virtual SusTech 2020 April 10, 2020
- SusTech 2020 Going Virtual March 23, 2020
- SusTech 2020 and COVID-19 March 11, 2020
San Fernando Valley Section
Coastal Los Angeles Section
Metropolitan Los Angeles Section
There are no upcoming events at this time.