IEEE Seoul Section Chair Nomination Announcement
Dear IEEE Seoul Section Members
IEEE Seoul Section Nomination Committee is happy to inform all the members that the committee decided to nominate Prof. Cheon Won Choi of Dankook University as a candidate for 2021 IEEE Seoul Section Chair. Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer will be appointed by the 2021 Section Chair and approved at the General Assembly Meeting to be held at Ajou University, December 5, 5:30pm, 2020.
According to the IEEE Bylaw, if any other member wants to be nominated for the 2021 chair position, he(she) should submit the attached petition form with more than 20 and no more than 25 signatures of Seoul Section members to current chair of the Seoul Section at email@example.com, by October 15th, 2020 for the election at Assembly Meeting.
Thank you and Best Regards,
IEEE Seoul Section Nomination Committee
NAME: Cheon Won Choi
MEMBER NUMBER: 08050593
MEMBER GRADE: Senior Member
AFFILIATION: Dankook University
Cheon Won Choi received the B.S. degree and the M.S. degree in electronics engineering from Seoul National University, Korea, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of California at Los Angeles, U.S.A. in 1986, 1988, and 1996, respectively. Since 1997, he has been on the faculty of Dankook University, Korea, where he is presently a professor at the department of computer engineering. In 1985, he joined the IEEE and is now a senior member. He has served at the executive committes in IEEE Region 10, IEEE Seoul Section and IEEE VTS Seoul Chapter, where he contributed to developing IEEE graduate student members, creating IEEE student branches, elevating IEEE member grades, and exploring candidates for IEEE awards. Also, he contributed to organizing a number of IEEE conferences including IEEE VTC Spring 2003, IEEE ISIT 2009 and IEEE TENCON 2018.
– 2017 IEEE Region 10, Executive Committee Member
– 1998-2008 IEEE Seoul Section, Executive Committee Member
– 2012-2013 IEEE Seoul Section, Executive Committee Member
– 2014 IEEE Seoul Section, Secretary
– 2015-2016 IEEE Seoul Section, Executive Committee Member
– 2017-present IEEE Seoul Section, Vice-chair
– 2004-2012 IEEE VTS Seoul Chapter, Executive Committee Member
– 2013-2014 IEEE VTS Seoul Chapter, Chair
– 2015-present IEEE VTS Seoul Chapter, Executive Committee Member
– 2007-present IEEE Student Branch at Dankook University, Counsellor
– 1985-1993 IEEE Information Theory Society, Member
– 1985-1994 IEEE Reliability Society, Member
– 1994-present IEEE Communications Society, Member
– 2004-present IEEE Vehicular Technology Society, Member
– 2003 IEEE VTC Spring 2003, Organizing Committee Member
– 2009 IEEE ISIT 2009, Organizing Committee Member
– 2010 IEEE APWCS 2010, Technical Program Committee Co-chair
– 2011 IEEE APWCS 2011, Technical Program Committee Co-chair
– 2012 IEIE/IEEE ICEIC 2012, Organizing Committee Member
– 2012 IEEE APWCS 2012, General Co-chair
– 2013 IEIE/IEEE ICEIC 2013, Technical Program Committee Member
– 2013 IEEE APWCS 2013, General Chair
– 2014 IEEE VTC Spring 2014, Organizing Committee Member
– 2015 IEIE/IEEE ICEIC 2015, Technical Program Committee Member
– 2018 IEEE TENCON 2018, Technical Program Committee Chair
– 2019 IEIE/IEEE ICEIC 2019, General Chair
– 2019 IEIE/IEICE/IEEE ITC-CSCC 2019, President
– 2021 IEEE TENSYMP 2021, Organizing Committee Member
– 2007 2nd IEIE/IEEE Joint Award for Young Scientist, Selection
– 2008 3rd IEIE/IEEE Joint Award for Young Scientist, Selection
– 2015 IEEE Seoul Section Student Paper Contest 2015, Technical
Program Committee Chair
– 2016 IEEE Seoul Section Student Paper Contest 2016, Technical
Program Committee Chair
– 2017 12th IEIE/IEEE Joint Award for Young Scientist, Selection
– 2018 13th IEIE/IEEE Joint Award for Young Scientist, Selection
Firstly, I have had various experiences in IEEE region, section and chapter. While serving at the IEEE positions, I made notable contributions, as summarized below, not only to IEEE but also to IEEE members. Such contributions verify my ability to lead IEEE Seoul Section. Secondly, I have a vision for IEEE Seoul Section to be remodeled to serve IEEE members, which can be realized by my specific plans as addressed below. My experiences in the past and my plans for the future assure that I am the right person for the chair of IEEE Seoul Section.
- As a member of the executive committee in IEEE Seoul Section, I developed a huge number of graduate student members.
- As a member of the executive committee in IEEE Seoul Section, I contributed to creating new IEEE Student Branches at a large number of universities in Korea and activating dormant IEEE Student Branches as well.
- As the chair of IEEE VTS Seoul Chapter, I globalized IEEE Asia Pacific Wireless Communications Symposium and made it grow into a highly populous conference.
- As the vice-chair of IEEE Seoul Section, I helped IEEE members who were qualified but uninformed elevate their IEEE member grades.
- As the vice-chair of IEEE Seoul Section, I played a key role in upgrading IEEE TENCON quantitatively as well as qualitatively.
From my invaluable experiences in IEEE, I believe that IEEE Seoul Section should act for the IEEE members to get benefits they deserve. If I am selected for the chair of IEEE Seoul Section,
- I will help the IEEE member grades of qualified IEEE members be elevated
- I will seek good candidates and recommend them to receive IEEE awards
- I will explore potential volunteers and encourage them to work in IEEE Region 10 and IEEE headquarter
- I will expand IEEE Seoul Section Student Paper Contest so that students get to know IEEE membership and IEEE activities
- I will support scientific and technical achievements in Korea to be recognized as IEEE Milestones
- I will host and organize IEEE conferences and IEEE meetings.
(a) Any other offices you hold or expect to hold within IEEE: None
(b) Any role outside your IEEE activities which could result in a conflict of interest with your IEEE responsibilities: None
(c) Any other possible source of conflict of interest: None
CONSENT to serve as Section Chair as well as Past Chair of IEEE Seoul Section and reside in Seoul Section to serve for 4 consecutive years: Yes.