SCV Milestone Program
Upcoming SCV Section Milestone Dedications
We have 18 so far, and more SCV Section Milestones are in the works. Details will be posted as soon as we know more.
If you want to propose a Milestone, please see the Program information below.
List of SCV Section Milestones
– Conductive Polymer Self-Regulating Heat-Tracing Cable, 1972
– Apollo 11 Lunar Ranging Experiment (LURE), 1969
– Dialog Online Search System, 1966
– Moore’s Law, 1965
– Birthplace of Silicon Valley, 1956
– Public Demonstration of Online Systems and Personal Computing, 1968
– Shakey: the World’s First Mobile Intelligent Robot, 1972
– Ampex Videotape Recorder, 1956
– IEEE Special Citation Computer History Museum, 1979
– SPARC RISC Architecture, 1987
– The CP/M Microcomputer Operating System, 1974
– The Floating Gate EEPROM, 1976 – 1978
– SPICE Circuit Simulation Program, 1970
– Inception of the ARPANET, 1969
– Semiconductor Planar Process and Integrated Circuit, 1959
– Development of the HP-35, the First Handheld Scientific Calculator, 1972
– RAMAC, 1956
– Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, 1962
IEEE Milestones Program
The IEEE Milestones program honors significant technical achievements in all areas associated with IEEE. It is a program of the IEEE History Committee, administered through the IEEE History Center. Milestones recognize the technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity found in unique products, services, seminal papers and patents. Milestones are proposed by any IEEE member, and are sponsored by an IEEE Organizational Unit —such as an IEEE section, society, chapter, or student branch. After recommendation by the IEEE History Committee and approval by the IEEE Board of Directors, a bronze plaque commemorating the achievement is placed at an appropriate site with an accompanying dedication ceremony.
Each milestone recognizes a significant technical achievement that occurred at least twenty-five years ago in an area of technology represented in IEEE and having at least regional impact. For more information.