Some of the key activities and achievements of members from Region 8 during the past year include the following:
- IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference – MELECON 2016 April 18 – 20, 2016, Limassol, Cyprus
- IEEEE Energycon 2016, Leuven Belgium April 4-8, 2016
- IEEE PES ISGT Europe 2016 conference , took place in Ljubljana, Slovenia, between 9th and 12th October 2106. There were 230 delegates at the conference who presented 153 technical papers in 3 plenary, 28 oral, 2 poster and 6 panel sessions and 9 tutorials.
- 10th Mediterranean Conference on Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Energy Conversion – MedPower 2016, first time with the technical co-sponsorship of the IEEE was held between 6th and 9th November 2016 in Belgrade, Serbia.There were 261 participants from 28 countries who presented 116 technical papers and 9 keynote speeches and of which 54 participated in panel sessions organized during the conference
PES Member Driven Initiative
IEEE PES Chapter Serbia and Montenegro organized within Member Driven Initiative Campaign a workshop “Public outreach to Power Engineering Community in Serbia and Western Balkan Region focusing on the female members and young professionals” in Belgrade, Serbia on November 9th, 2016. The attendance of 36 included female members, young professionals and invited speakers from all Western Balkan countries.
Chapter chairs training
Region 8 chapter Chairs training took place in Ljubljana on the 9th October during ISGT Europe conference with record attendance of 30 people including 22 chapter chairs and chapter chair representatives and 8 PES GB representatives or speakers at the training.
PES Nigeria chapter organised Meetings with the EEE Departments of The Federal University of Technology, Akure and Elizade University, Ilara Mokin both in Ondo State which included panel discussion of The Problems of Electric Power Distribution in Nigeria. In attendance were faculty members, undergraduates and postgraduate students in the Federal University of Technology, Akure as well as practicing engineers in the electric power industry.
- In 2016 in Region 8 established 13 new IEEE PES Student Branch Chapters (now in total there are 38 IEEE PES SBC in R8).
- 19 PES Students attended 2nd IEEE PES Student Chapter Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 8th – 10th December 2016 IEEE PES Student Chapter of University of Zagreb had organized Zagreb Energy Conference which was sponsored by IEEE PES. (Facebook event page)
- In 2016, 9 IEEE PES Student Branch Chapters from R8 were awarded as High Performing Student Branch Chapters. IEEE PES Student Chapter of Budapest University of Technology and Economics was outstanding PES Student Branch Chapter for 2015.
- During the conference MedPower 2016 (Belgrade), workshop “Public outreach to Power Engineering Community in Serbia and Western Balkan Region focusing on the female members and young professionals” was organized. At the workshop students form Western Balkan region attended and presented their activities and examples of good practice.