ENERGIZE your PES Chapter!
Been to YOUR PES Chapter meeting lately? If not, you’re missing out!
Our local Chapters are providing:
- Excellent Technical Programs on current topics: renewable energy integration, Smart Grid, electric vehicles, etc.
- Networking opportunities to grow your career
- Leadership development opportunities
- Mentoring for our PES Student Branches
- Tutorials and Professional Development Courses
If these don’t describe your Chapter, maybe it’s time for YOU to get involved and make it happen! PES has a number of resources described below to help grow and improve your Chapter.
Information on all of our local chapters can be accessed using the Chapter Locator, http://www.ieee-pes.org/pes-communities/chapters/chapter-locator. Contact the Chapter Chair to volunteer to get involved!
Six new PES Chapters were formed in 2014. If there’s not a PES Chapter near you, contact your Region Representative to find out how to start one.
- Region 1 – Edvina Uzunovic, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 2 – Josh Skillman, email@example.com
- Region 3 – Daniel Diaz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 4 – Mythili Chaganti, email@example.com
- Region 5 – Todd Hiemer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 6 – Naim Logic, email@example.com
- Region 7 – Mazana Armstrong, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 8 – Jovica Milanovic, email@example.com
- Region 9 – Nelson Segoshi, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 10 – Lalit Goel, email@example.com
Energize Your Chapter
Our High Performing Chapters Program is intended to recognize the success of your Chapter and provide from $200 to $1000 funding per year. Make plans now for YOUR Chapter to participate in 2015!
The minimum criteria to be a High Performing Chapter are:
a) Timely updates of chapter leadership contact data,
b) Hold a minimum of four meetings per year,
c) Utilize the Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award,
d) Provide Chapter information via the web,
e) Complete the Annual Report of chapter activities.
Additional funding up to $1000 is provided for the following:
f) Young Professionals (formerly GOLD) Program,
g) Women in Engineering Program,
h) Membership Growth / Retention Program,
i) Membership Advancement Program,
j) Membership recognition activities,
k) Student Activities,
l) Chapter Educational Activities,
m) Conference Activities,
n) Other Activities.
Details of the HPCP can be found at http://www.ieee-pes.org/ieee-pes-high-performing-chapter-award.
Chapter Leadership Training
Leadership training will be provided for a member of your local Chapter leadership team. This training is ideal for the incoming Chapter Chair. Videos and training materials from the R1-7 2014 Training can be found at http://www.ieee-pes.org/pes-communities/chapters/chapter-resources/2014-chapter-chair-training-videos.
Training sessions for 2015 are planned as follows:
- Region 1-7: Sunday, July 26, at the PES General Meeting, Denver, Colorado
- Region 8: Sunday, June 28 at PowerTech, Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Region 9: Sunday, October 4 at ISGT Latin America, Montevideo, Uruguay
- Region 10: November in conjunction with ISGT Asia, Bangkok, Thailand
Details of the 2015 training sessions will be provided by your Region Representative as the plans are finalized. Make plans now to send a representative from YOUR Chapter.
Outstanding Chapter Award
Each year, the PES Outstanding Chapter Award is given to the large (>100 members) chapter and small chapter that is judged to provide the greatest overall contribution and service to its members in the Technical and Societal activities, Membership Advancement, Fellow Nominations and Awards and Enlistment of new PES Members.
The 2013 Outstanding Chapter awards were presented to Boston (large Chapter) and Panama (small Chapter) at the 2014 GM in National Harbor.
Distinguished Lecturer Program
This program provides lectures worldwide to present topics of current interest for yourchapter meeting with most of the expenses covered by PES.
The lecturers are well-known engineers who are experts in their field. Details of the program can be found at http://www.ieee-pes.org/pes-communities/chapters/distinguished-lecturer-program.
Make plans to invite a DL to one of YOUR Chapter meetings this year!
PES Student Branch Chapters
16 new Student Branch Chapters were organized in 2014. Contact the following Student Branch Regional Coordinators to find out how to start one in your University.
- Region 1-7 – Kenan Hadzimahovic, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 8 – Edina Livnjak, email@example.com
- Region 9 – Cesar Chamochumbi, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 10 – Mini Thomas, email@example.com
The First IEEE PES Student Congress was held on August 29-31, 2014 at METU, Ankara, Turkey with 40 students (22 different countries) and six speakers (five countries). The congress covered technical lectures, fair, non-technical workshops, and both technical and historical field trips.
The Second PES Student Congress is being planned for 2016. Start making plans now to send representatives from your Chapter.
Community Solutions Initiative
Chapters can also get involved in IEEE Community Solutions Initiative (CSI), a new IEEE Foundation Signature Program, http://csi.powerdata.com. CSI will soon become IEEE Smart Village in early 2015. IEEE Smart Village is committed to open-source design and delivery of energy solutions to the world’s poorest and most energy-deprived populations.
Mission – To use renewable energy and technology to improve lives of people in remote communities in a sustainable way.
Vision – To enable non-government organization (NGO) partners to provide access to basic electrical services for 50 million people within 10 years.