With a better understanding of hacking you get a better understanding of defence against hacking. To know your enemy is to defeat him/her.
It’s difficult to separate hacking from cyber security. The two areas are closely intertwined with cyber security being the inverse of hacking. Hacking attempts to subvert a system and cyber security attempts to shield a system from subversion. I can’t say this this section makes this separation completely however most material deals exclusively with subversion and less with prevention, although there are some exceptions. The intent is to bring forward those explicit tools and techniques which support and facilitate subversion. In this regard there are some excellent resources, mostly among the book listing.
The different sections can be categorized as follows:
- Articles: Have little technical heft and can be considered as light reading.
- Research & Reports: Requires a level of expertise ranging from familiar to experienced.
- Books: Surveys and didactic material suitable for in-depth learning. Generally texts with large heft.
- Resources: Other web sites containing matrial similar to this page. Allows extanded learning.
- References: Additional material nnot directly related to cyber security.
- 10 ways to protect against hackers
- A neat new way to attack military problems: ‘Hacking for Defense’
- Buildings your own Hacking Lab
- Ethical Hacking Penetration Testing Overview
- Data Security: Top Threats to Data Protection
- Defense Against the Black Arts: How Hackers Do What They Do and How to Protect Against It
- Download 10 Best Android Hacking Apps for Android Mobile in 2016
- Ethical Hacking and the Legal System
- Ethical Hacking Techniques to Audit and Secure Web-enabled Applications
- Game of Drones
- Introduction to Ethical Hacking
- “Hack the Pentagon ” Fact Sheet – June 1 7, 2016
- Hacking Back Without Cracking Up
- Hacking for defense
- If Trump Wants a ‘Hacking Defense’ Strategy, He Should Just Use Obama’s
- New hacks, new defenses: Latest tips to protect against data breaches
- Protecting Your Computer and Your Identity
- Protection against Hacking – Technique / Tools
- The Red Queen Problem – Innovation in the DoD and Intelligence Community
- Web Services Hacking and Hardening
- With C.I.A. Hacking Revelations, How to Protect Your Devices
- Top 10 Protected PDF Hacks
Research & Reports
- Counter-Attacks for Cybersecurity Threats
- Cyber Security Planning Guide
- Ethical Hacking
- Footprinting: What is it and How Do You Erase Them
- Hackback: Permitting Retaliatory Hacking by Non-State Actors as Proportionate Countermeasures to Transboundary Cyberharm
- Honeyfiles: Deceptive Files for Intrusion Detection
- Innovative Defense: An Overview of the Debate and a Way Forward
- Into the Gray Zone The Private Sector and Active Defense Against Cyber Threats
- Off-Path Hacking: The Illusion of Challenge-Response Authentication
- Network Attack and Defense
- Security Investment, Hacking, and Information Sharing between Firms and between Hackers
- The Google Hacker’s Guide
- Ethics of Hacking Back
- Facebook Hacking
- Gray Hat Hacking
- Hacking Exposed Fifth Edition: Network Security Secrets & Solutions
- Hacking Into Computer Systems
- Hardware Hacking
- History and Impact of Hacking
- Penetration Testing: A Hands-on Introduction to Hacking
- The Web Application Hacker’s Handbook