Power and Energy (PES)
- Promote electro-technology & allied Sciences
- Benefit humanity thro electro technology
- Promote advancement of the profession
- Facilitate networking
- Promote member interests & improve quality of life.
- Enhance the image of the Engineer in the community, we serve
- Career enhancement
- Adoption of global technology to local conditions
- Organisational improvement
- Public responsibility
- Dissemination of Information
- Establishment of PES identity and improved communications & electronic linking of PES.
Executive Committee PES IEEE Madras Chapter Execom for the year 2008
Profile of chairman
Former Chief Engineer, Tamil Nadu Electricity Board, Chartered Engineer & Registered Valuer
1. Passed B.E.(Civil) from Madras University in First Class during 1959. Post Graduate in Structural Engineering from Madurai University during 1974 in First Class with Distinction. Served the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) for more than 38 years and retired as Chief Engineer/Civil Designs during 1997. Was in charge of the prestigious Kundah Hydro Electric Project under Colombo Plan. Held key positions in the Hydro Electric side of the complex Parambikulam-Aliyar Project involving inter-state and inter-basin transfer of river waters. Was involved in almost all the 29 Hydro Power Stations of TNEB of Capacities ranging from 0.35 MW to 100 MW including the unique 400 MW Kadamparai Reversible Turbine Project. Investigated, formulated & held key positions in several other Power Projects of Hydro, Thermal and Gas.
2. Was Vice Chairman of the State Dam Safety Committee. Was member of International Commission on Large Dams and drafted Specifications. Was a member of the Indian Delegation to participate in the International Hydro Power Conference in China, 1995 and visited the mighty 18,200 MW Three Gorges Project. Has been a Visitor and Consultant to International Power Projects. Author of about 60 technical papers presented at several National & International Conferences on Hydro Power, Hydrology, Transmission Lines, Construction Management, Planning, Environment, Technical Audit and Prestressed Concrete. Tackled some unique and challenging Maintenance works of Repair and Rehabilitation in Power Projects. Expert-Advisor to Govt. of Tamil Nadu in the Cauvery Water Dispute. Consultant to Larson & Toubro for their Nepal Hydro Power Project, to Mantech/Ernest & Young for Restructuring of TNEB and to Pioneer Engineering on Construction Management. Author of Indian Standards Specification on Fire Safety in Hydro Projects.
3. Fellow in the Instn. of Engineers, Indian Instn. of Technical Arbitrators, Indian Concrete Institute, Institutes of Valuers, Bridge Engrs., Consulting Civil Engrs., Indian Water Works Assn., Senior Member in the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engrs. (USA), Member in Institutes of Rock Mechanics & Tunneling Technology, Public Admn., Quality & Reliability and Information Centre on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, American Biographical Institute and National Geographic Society. Chartered & Professional Engineer and Registered Valuer.
4. Has visited Canada, USA, UK, all West European countries, China, Bangla Desh and Singapore to present Technical Papers in International Conferences, on Study Tour and Private visit.
Vice Chair & Past chair
Dr.P.Suresh Chander Pal.
Born on 20th February1937,obtained B.E.Electrical Engineering Degree, from Madras University in 1958,-outstanding service of 37 years, in TamilNadu Electricity Board, with commitment to cause and passion for righteous things,-retired as Board Member(Distribution),in February1995.He was awarded the Doctorate degree Ph.D.,viz., Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering, by the International University of Contemporary Studies ,at Washington DC,U.S.A. ,on 10th January 2006.
He worked in Operation, Maintenance & Construction wings, Distributions, EHV Transmission line erection & Thermal Power Stations, in TamilNadu. He was deputed to SriLanka, ,by the Govt .of India, for assessment & revamping works ,during LTTE hostilities.
He has been active in IEEE, since 1988,he is the recipient of 2000 Third Millennium Medal,2001 International Outstanding Award(Power Engineering Society), Madras Chapter, 2002 Outstanding Chapter Engineer Award(PES) and several awards of distinction, including High Performance PES Chapter Awards for successive three years, from 2001 & other meritorious Recognition Awards from the Lions Clubs International & the IEEE .He has presented papers in various forums ,participated in Student–guidance programs ,organized Technical Seminars and Meetings—“SEBs at Cross Roads”, “Ethics in Engineering” “Interconnecting of Rivers to form River-Grid” “Automotive creations of the 21st Century”, ”Engineering the touch in Bio-medical Systems etc ,which evoked much public interest. He is a Life-Member & Fellow in IE(I), IETE, Instn. of Values, Chartered Engr.(India) etc. He had attended International Seminars at Manila, Kuala Lumpur (TNEB),Lions Convention at Montreal, IEEE-PES Chapter Congress at Seattle, Chicago, Yokohama, IEEE Region 10 Section Chair Meeting at Penang (2003) and the R10 Meet at Singapore(2005) and also the R10 PES Chapter Congress at Bangkok. His tenure as the Chairman of the IEEE Madras Section, in 2004 and 2005 were full of accomplishments and activities, spanning many areas ,including Video-Conferencing ,Audio-Conferencing, Internet Conferencing, ,International Conferences and the INDICON 2005,which was a spectacular success .As the Section chair, he was instrumental in organizing motivational programs and increasing the IEEE Student Branches from 83 to 103,in the Section, which was the highest in the World.
Currently, he is the
1)-Chairman, IEEE-Power Engg. Society, Madras Chapter
2)Chairman Student Activities Committee, IEEE Madras Section
3)Chairman, Membership Retention, Lions Clubs International District 324-A6.
4)President, TNEB Retired Officials’ Association and
5)Electrical Supply Consultant, Brakes India Limited(Group of companies)at Chennai.
His specific goal is to improve the member services and increase the benefits in the Section. Society Chapters & Student Branches, enhance the Quality of life and represent the Section, at all the IEEE forums and exert the position with passion.
He is married to Uma and they have one son, Dr.Suresh Sridhar, working in U.S.,daughter-in-law, Uma and a grand-daughter, Suchi and a grand-son, Varun.
Profile of Vice- chair
Mr. V.Sankara Narayanan,
Received B.E. (Electrical) from ACCET, Karaikudi in 1968; Ph.D degree from International university of Contemporary studies, Washington, USA in 2005. Entire career profile revolved around TNEB. Joined as Assistant Engineer in 1969 and got elevated to the level of Additional Chief Engineer. Retired in the year 2004; 40 Technical papers have sofar been authored by him; these were published in the proceedings of various International/National Seminars, Workshops and Journals. Area of specialization are over voltage protection of power system equipment and Equipment Security.
Year of Activities
|1||Activities for the year 2001-2002|
|2||Activities for the year 2003|
|3||Activities for the year 2004|
|4||Activities for the year 2005|
|5||Activities for the year 2006|
|6||Activities for the year 2007|
Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award Winners
Year 2002 : Er. P.Surech Chander Pal
Was nominated for this Award, for his Outstanding service to the community and the Power Engineering Society through revival of the PES Madras Chapter. Award will be presented on Feb. 22, 2003 at TAG Center, Chennai.
Year 2001 : Er. G. V. Rao
The Award was in recognition of Er. Rao’s 53 years of professional service and in appreciation of his initiatives and efforts for the organizational growth & improvement of IEEE-PES Madras Chapter.
Year 2000 : Dr. Murugesan Ponnavikko
Dr. Ponnavaikko was nominated for this award in recognition of the outstanding technical and leadership contributions to IEEE, Power Engineering profession and Education. The award was presented on Feb.10, 2001 to Dr.Ponnavaikko at an impressive function.
- Inauguration of Student Chapter
- Inaguation of student chapter at the Crescent Engineering College, Chennai. Dr. G.V.Rao, Chairman IEEE Power Engineering Society opened the inauguaral session and explain about the activities of IEEE Power Engineering and Societies. Total number of participants were 247.
- IEEE-PES Chapter at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, will be re-activated with Dr. Shanti Swarup, Assistant Professor,
- As the Faculty Advisor and a fresh batch of elected Student Principal Officers and necessary support by the IEEE-PES Madras
- Chapter. Efforts are being made to form Affinity group with the GOLD members.
- PES Student chapter was formed to meet the technical needs of 36 student-members of
- Velammal Engineering College, Velammal Nagar, Ambattur-Red Hills Road, Chennai – 600 066.
- Mrs.Sheila Haran, Professor Head of the Department of EEE is the Faculty Advisor/Branch Counseler.
The Chapter Officers are:
- M. Sundararajan (Chairman), B. Anandhi (Vice-Chairman), P.R. Mahesh Narayanan (Secretary), N. Easwaran (Treasurer) · Efforts are being taken to form student chapter at SRM Engineering College, Kattankulathur (near Chennai).
- Prof. Muthu Subramaniam, Head of the Department of EEE will be the Faculty Advisor.
- Efforts have been taken to start IEEE-PES Student Chapter at IFET College of Engineering at Villupuram with Mr.Kodi, Vice Principal & Head of Department of EEE, as the Faculty advisor
- The IEEE Student Branch was launched at RMD Engineering College at Kavaraipettai 30kms away from Madras and Er. P.Suresh Chander Pal motivated the students and the management to start the PES Student Chapter from this year.
- The students of RMK Engineering College also will be starting the PES Student Chapter shortly. Er. Ramakrishnan will be the Faculty Adviser