The IEEE IAS is holding the 2013 IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting at the Hotel Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista, Lake Buena Vista, FL USA, from October 6 through October 11, 2013. Registration for the Annual Meeting is now in progress. Details of conference including workshop registration and hotel information are available online, http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/2013/home.htm
The highlight of this conference for the Chapters and Membership Development (CMD) Department is the IAS CMD and Chapters Annual Workshop to which you are cordially invited. Chapter Chairs are kindly requested to forward this invitation to their chapter members. We hope that you will take advantage of this opportunity to participate in the chapters´ activities as well as experience one of the keystone technical conferences offered by the Industry Applications Society.
CMD organizes the following program preferentially for workshop participants:
– Sunday, Oct 6, full day o CMD and Chapter Annual Workshop (a.m. and p.m.).
- Student Poster Session in conjunction with the Welcome Reception (in the evening). The works of the Zucker Design Contest, the Master Thesis Contest winners and the invited students will be presented during Welcome Reception.
– Monday, Oct 7, full day o Student Technical Session. Oral presentations of the works of the Zucker Design Contest winners, the Master Thesis Contest award recipients and the invited students (timing TBD).
- Zucker Luncheon (entrance free for all registered students). Recognition of the winners of the Zucker Travel Award and Zucker Design Contest as well as the Master Thesis Contest Award recipients.
- CMD Dinner and Intercultural Social Event for recognizing the outstanding chapters and the outstanding chapter officers as well as the contest award recipients (in the evening).
– Tuesday, Oct 8, full day o Technical excursion to visit the Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral (online registration is necessary, https://www.badgeguys.com/reg/2013/ias/register.aspx)
– Wednesday, Oct 9, in the evening o President´s Award Banquet. Presentation of the Outstanding Chapter and Chapter Officer Awards, the Chapter Web Contest Awards and the Master Thesis Contest plaques.
As the representatives of the chapters´ leadership within our Society, and CMD contests´ winners and award recipients, you are strongly encouraged to participate in the above events at the Annual Meeting´s CMD and Chapters Annual
Workshop. As an incentive for those invitees who participate in the Workshop full day, the Chapters and Membership Development Department will reimburse $450 for members as well as $350 for students and unemployed members, which is the ´technical sessions only´ or the ´tutorials only´ conference registration fee before Sep 5. In case of later registration only $450 or $350, respectively, will be reimbursed. This registration level gives you the opportunity to attend the technical session program, or the tutorial program of the conference. Both can be attended for an additional $100, which will not be reimbursed. For details, please check the online registration site, http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/2013/conference_registration.htm . You are kindly invited also to the Kennedy Space Center tour. Those who attend the full day workshop on Oct 6, 75% of the tour registration fee will also be reimbursed.
To continue the last year´s success, two student sessions will be organized along with the Education Department to demonstrate the high level of technical activity of the members of the currently 52 IAS student branch chapters in the Student Poster Session and the Student Technical Session.
Chapter representatives, Area Chairs and CMD Committee Chairs are welcomed with a brief report on achievements and challenges of your respective chapters and committees. We will set up the agenda and schedule of the workshop according to the registration status on September 5. I will contact you about the suitable duration of the presentation by September 10. The final versions of the activity reports should be submitted to me electronically by September 27. Only the files timely submitted and downloaded on the presentation laptop will be accepted for presentation. You are kindly requested to avoid USB flash drive submissions close to or during the workshop. A detailed final workshop schedule will be forwarded to you before October 1, 2013. PDF copies of all presentations will be published in the Chapters and Membership Newsletter, http://site.ieee.org/ias-cmd/, after the workshop.
As in previous years, the IEEE IAS has negotiated room rates and occupancy based on our need to use meeting and exhibit space in the Conference Hotel. If we cannot fill the negotiated room block we will be obliged to pay huge fees for using meeting and exhibit space. These arrangements with the hotel provide the conference with the ability to offer lower registration rates. The complimentary registration offer is based upon you confirming your lodging arrangements with the meeting hotel. Please support the IEEE IAS in our attempts to keep the Annual Meeting registration fees reasonable and book your room at the conference hotel. Students, retirees and unemployed members as well as attendees from the Orlando area need not book a room in the conference hotel. A cost effective solution especially for single traveller students is sharing the room with other participants in the conference hotel. If you are interested in room sharing, please contact Tamás Ruzsányi, CMD Workshop Committee Chair, <email@example.com>.
Procedure to receive reimbursement of the registration fee for the Annual Meeting is as follows:
- Register at http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/2013/conference_registration.htm for the Annual Meeting Conference online and indicate your attendance of the workshop with completing the fields <3. Will you be attending the CMD Workshop?> and the Cape Canaveral tour <Extra events and items> if applicable.
- For getting reimbursed you for the conference registration fee ($450 or $350) and the Cape Canaveral excursion fee partly (75% of the fee), if applicable, a reimbursing document package should be completed. The registered participants will receive the document package by Sep 8, 2013. The completed reimbursing package should be sent back to Tamás Ruzsányi by Sep 15, 2013.
- Only the IAS members, who are members of an active technical or a SB chapter of the IAS are eligible for reimbursement. Non-chapter or non-IAS members are kindly requested to contact the CMD chair for exception.
Please check your visa requirements at your travel agent or in the web, http://www.visahq.com/visas.php. Those who need a visa, please follow the instructions of the paragraph “Visitor authorization and visa” on the conference registration website, http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/2013/conference_registration.htm. Please consider CMD is not authorized for providing you with an invitation letter for visa application.
I am looking forward to meeting each of you at the 2013 CMD Annual Chapters Workshop in Lake Buena Vista.
IAS CMD Chair