About the position
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant 3-year PhD or 2-year Postdoctoral position related to the use of airborne hyperspectral imaging of urban areas.
The aim of the project is to develop mapping products of urban areas automatically extracted by machine learning from aerial survey containing detailed geometric information from laser data and spectral information from hyperspectral images.
The candidate will be involved in several parts of the project and, in particular, developing a spectral library for urban materials and vegetation for input to advanced machine learning algorithms.
The project is a true teamwork with partners from the municipality (Bærum kommune), industry (Terratec) and research institutions (Norsk Regnesentral, NIBIO).
The candidate will use the hyperspectral laboratory at NMBU in combination with airborne hyperspectral data provided by Terratec to develop spectral libraries for typical urban materials. Advanced techniques within image and data analysis will be used to analyse the data.
Furthermore, novel machine learning and deep learning models will be applied in collaboration with Norsk Regnesentral for classification of the materials from the airborne images.
Qualifications and skills
The successful applicant must either meet the conditions defined for admission to a PhD programme at NMBU, or have a PhD in a relevant field. The PhD programme applicant must have an academically relevant education corresponding to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are at master’s degree level. The applicant must have a documented strong academic background from previous studies, and be able to document proficiency in both written and oral English. For more detailed information on the admission criteria for PhD please see the PhD Regulations and the relevant PhD programme description.
The applicant must document expertise and interest in the research subject.
Required academic qualifications
- MSc degree for PhD scholarship or PhD for Postdoctoral position in physics, data science, geomatics, material science
- Experience with image analysis and hyperspectral imaging
- Knowledge of machine learning and deep learning algorithms
- Good scientific writing skills
- Good knowledge of English language – both written and oral
Desired academic qualifications
- Experience in analyzing large multi-dimensional data sets
- Experience from analysis of Remote Sensing data
- Advanced computer programming skills
Required personal skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to focus and work independently as well as being a reliable team member
Desired personal skills
- Flexible, social, and open-minded
- Positive attitude towards challenges
Remuneration and information
The position is placed in government pay scale position.
- For PhD: code 1017 PhD. Fellow, wage framework 20, salary grade 54-62. PhD. Fellows are normally placed in pay grade 54 (NOK 479 600) on the Norwegian Government salary scale upon employment and follow ordinary meriting regulations.
- For Postdoctoral Fellow: code 1352 Postdoctoral Fellow, wage framework 24, salary grade 59-67 (NOK 523 200 – 605 500), depending on qualifications. Seniority Promotion in position
Employment is conducted according to national guidelines for University and Technical College PhD scholars.