Speaker: Mr. GORA DATTA, FHL7
Digital Health International Standards Subject Matter Expert
Date: 27th Aug 2020
Time: 7-8:30 pm Central Time
5-6:30 pm Pacific Time
Location: Zoom (Dial-in information will be provided shortly)
RSVP: **PLEASE register at https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/237773
With the phenomenal rise of mobile devices & smart phones globally in the past few years, we have now entered the digital age – the agricultural age, the scientific age, the industrial age, the information age and now the mobile age! Move over chalk & slate, paper & pencil, keyboards & laptops, here comes “swish, swipe & tap” on a mobile device. “Beam me up Scotty!”
This global transformation is bringing a change that is impacting our world in every way – how we interact, play, read, write, watch, study, research, work or even relax. Traditional methods of doing research, developing solutions and subsequent adoption and utilization by end-users in this information & digital age at a break-neck speed is also seeing a change that is rapidly adapting/adopting to this wave. Regulators are scrambling to stay ahead of the curve by defining policies and regulations that will help leverage its benefits but at the same time, hopefully, not throttle or chock innovation. Mobile Health is in the midst of this explosion!
In this talk, I will walk through Mobile Health case studies and implementation experiences from around the globe. The talk with touch upon a wide-ranging topics and applications of Blockchain; AI/ML/ES/AS and the emerging field of Data Science; VR/AR/MR/XR realities to avatars, Drones & Robots to 3D-printing to micro-controller boards & single board computers; innovations in medical devices & mobile health apps; big data, cloud computing, edge/fog computing to IoT…..smart pandemic management to air quality management…..a global perspective of advancing technology for the benefit of humanity.
The examples will demonstrate how health problems of today’s information society and the needs of data and knowledge intense heterogeneous but STANDARDS based healthcare solutions are being met by bleeding-edge mobile solutions that were in the cradle of research till recently. Will introduce the emerging Healthcare Digital Health standard (HL7 FHIR) that is spreading like “fire” all across the globe!
Think ATM for money, think WIFI for your laptops and smart phones working anywhere, think local cell phones working in a foreign land…STANDARDS are foundational to the global successes these industries have seen and this is the direction that health (IT) industry is taking.
In summary, as we transition to a digital record framework (access, capture, and dissemination of information) use of mobile health will continue to rise. As mobile devices become more and more ubiquitous, accessing our Health Information is only a few tap/swipes away!
BIO: GORA DATTA
Gora DATTA, FHL7 is a US based serial entrepreneur and an internationally acknowledged Subject Matter Expert on Digital Health, Mobile Health, Health Informatics Standards & CyberHealth initiatives. He is an accomplished, visionary executive with over 35 years of international professional expertise in the field of Computer & Software Engineering and its application to Healthcare, Mobile Health, Cybersecurity, IoT, eLearning & Social Protection. His global professional experience spans many countries – Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, France, Greece, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Niger, Norway, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, UK, and USA.
As an US “Electronic Health Record (EHR)” Subject Matter Expert and ICT Expert on eHealth, Public Health & Social Protection/Safety Net Programs. Gora provides consultancy to & collaborates with large governmental organizations [e.g., US Dept of Health and Human Services (ONC, CMS, CDC), State of California (Public Health), County of Los Angeles (Dept of Health, Public Health), NIST: National Institute of Standards & Technology-USA]; Governments [of Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Niger, Philippines, USA]; multi-lateral agencies [The World Bank, ADB, WHO, UNICEF] and US based multi-hospital enterprise consortium (consisting of over 150 hospitals). Gora acts as Chief Health Technology Officer to multiple US Physician (Ambulatory) Practices in California.
As Digital Health SME, Gora is active with various Standards, Professional & Educational Organizations:
- Health Level Seven (HL7) International (2002 – current)
- HL7 Fellow, HL7 International Ambassador, HL7 Speaker
- (founding) Co-Chair HL7 Mobile Health Work Group (2012 – current)
- Member Education Advisory Council (2018 – current)
- ISO TC215 Health Informatics Technical Committee: USA Country Delegate (2008 – current)
- WG#10 Convenor Traditional Medicines (2020 – 2022)
- TF#3 Convenor: Outreach & Communications (2019 – 2021)
- AHG#4 Convenor: Standards & Conformance (2020 – 2023)
- Liaison Officer from ISO/TC215 to ISO/TC145, Graphical Symbols
- Liaison Officer from ISO/TC215 to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 41 Internet of Things and related technologies
- IEEE: Senior Member & Speaker
- Chairman IEEE Healthcare: Blockchain & AI Virtual Series
- Chairman IEEE Southern California Council (2018 – Treasurer)
- Chairman IEEE OC CyberSecurity (2018 – current; 2017-2015 as founding co-Chair)
- Vice Chair IEEE OC Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society Chapter (2019 – current)
- Orange County Section Leadership (2022-2018: Treasurer; 2017-2016: Chair; 2015-2104: Vice Chair)
- Secretary IEEE-USA US Government Communities of Interest (USGCoI) Committee
- HIMSS: Speaker & Reviewer
- Ambulatory Committee Member (2014-2015), Connected Health Committee Member (2015 – 2016)
- Board Member – California Southern University (2020 – current)
Gora is the founding Chairman and CEO of CAL2CAL group of companies (estd. 1996 in California, USA: http://www.cal2cal.com) – a multi-national innovative ICT products and solutions organization. He also serves on the Board of multiple organizations: educational, for profit and non-profit entities.
He is a Science [M.S. (Honors) Chemistry] and Engineering [B.E. (Honors) Chemical] alumnus of B.I.T.S., Pilani, India. Gora is an avid traveler, reader and loves to play bridge in his spare time on his mobile device!
If you have any question, please connect with Fawzi Behmann at email@example.com, IEEE Chair of Joint Austin Chapters (ComSoc/SP/CESoc & Computer/EMBS)