Upcoming Events in our Section
- Crystalline Solar Cells with Atypical Architecture for Wide-Ranging Deployment. Joint EDS-SSCS presentation by IEEE EDS Distinguished Lecturer, Dr Nazek El-Atab of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia. Feb. 23, 2022, 9am MST. See https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/304237 for details.
- Characteristics of Successful Tech Hubs and Start-ups: Lessons from the Origin and Growth of Silicon Valley. Co-hosted with Utah section. Presentation by Paul Wesling, Hewlett-Packard (retired). Feb. 24, 2022, 6:30pm MST. See https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/295592 for details.
- The Cutting Edge of Robot Surgery. Co-hosted by Boise and Santa Clara Valley RA chapters. Presentation by Ken Goldberg, UC Berkeley. March 16, 2022, 7:30PM MST. See https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/303347 for details.
- WMED 2022 – 19th IEEE Workshop on Microelectronics. April 8th, 2022, all day. Boise ED chapter. Details to be announced.
FutureCity competition results
The Future City Program combines an engineering challenge with a “hands-on” application as sixth through eighth grade students present their vision of a city of the future by working in teams along with their teacher and a volunteer engineer mentor. More details are at https://futurecity.org/idaho.
The IEEE Boise Section and the IEEE Boise SSCS Chapter are proud to be sponsors of the Idaho Regional Future City Competition this year. We sponsored the special award for most innovative application of future technologies for sustainable development for the benefit of humanity.
The results of the 18th Idaho Regional Competition are out! Congratulations to the Omne Viride team from White Pine Charter School for winning the IEEE special award. And a huge thank you to our IEEE-Boise volunteers Max Hineman, Chandika Silva, and Wankun Sirichotiyakul for judging at the competition.
Recordings Available from Recent Events
- Graph Analytics in the Accelerator-enabled Exascale Era, by Dr. Mahantesh Halappanavar Fan of Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Presented to Boise Computer Society chapter on Jan 20, 2022. Event recording at https://ieeetv.ieee.org/video/graph-analytics-in-the-exascale-era .
- TRAST, Preventive Measures for Real-World Reliability, by Dr. Xiaoyuan Fan of Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Presented to Boise section on Dec 16, 2021. Event recording at https://ieeetv.ieee.org/video/trast-preventive-measures-for-real-world-reliability .
- Making Qubits: Diamond, Photonics, Superconductors, and More, by Russ Renzas, Oxford Instruments Plasma Technology. Presented to Boise Computer Society on Oct 14th. Event recording at https://ieeetv.ieee.org/video/making-qubits-diamond-photonics-superconductors-more .
Announcement from BSU’s Electrical and Computer Engineering department
Looking for a change? Boise State ECE Department is hiring a Clinical Professor in Computer Hardware Engineering. A Masters degree and 10+ years of industry experience are desired. See https://www.boisestate.edu/coen-ece/employment/. They are also looking to hire assorted adjuncts if you want to give to future engineers with a lower level of commitment. Questions: Contact Dr. Elisa Barney, professor of electrical and computer engineering, at email@example.com.
From the Chair (Randy Rannow, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your membership in IEEE. If you’ve already renewed for 2022, thank you! If you haven’t, renew now at https://www.ieee.org/membership/renew.html so you continue to receive all your IEEE benefits.
You are receiving this newsletter because you are a member of the IEEE-Boise section. Previous newsletters are on our section web site at https://site.ieee.org/boise/archive/ .
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IEEEBoise .
Find out about more upcoming IEEE events at these links:
- Region 6 (western US) web site: https://ieee-region6.org/events/category/meetings/
- MGA Scoop – Monthly newsletter about upcoming events and member benefits: https://mga.ieee.org/news/32-ieee-news
- IEEE Virtual Events Calendar – Major upcoming events and those now available on demand. https://spectrum.ieee.org/static/ieee-virtual-events-calendar
- IEEE App. For a comprehensive listing of all IEEE events, including chapter, section and student branch meetings, use the IEEE app available on Google Play and Apple’s App Store. Download the IEEE app today. https://app.ieee.org/
Please feel free to forward this newsletter to any of your friends and colleagues who may be interested in what IEEE has to offer. Let them know one benefit of joining IEEE is the opportunity to network with other professionals in your local area or within a specific technical interest. There’s much more information about the benefits of IEEE membership at https://ieee.org/join .
If you have a topic you’d like to suggest or an article you’d like to contribute to a future newsletter, please send it to Chris Gunning at email@example.com . Thank you!