IEEE-Boise Section Newsletter
From the Chair (Randy Rannow, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your membership in IEEE. You are receiving this newsletter because you are a member of the IEEE-Boise section. Previous newsletters are on our section web site at https://site.ieee.org/boise/archive/ .
Please feel free to forward this newsletter to any of your friends and colleagues who may be interested in what IEEE has to offer. Let them know one benefit of joining IEEE is the opportunity to network with other professionals in your local area or within a specific technical interest. There’s much more information about the benefits of IEEE membership at https://ieee.org/join .
Upcoming Local Events
Other Upcoming IEEE Events
Learn more about these events at the links provided.
- Leveraging IEEE to promote your career, by Tom Coughlin, July 15, 7pm MDT, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/274616
- Neuroengineering Solutions for Restoring Brain Functions, IEEE-OC EMBS talk , July 19, 1pm MDT, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/274305
- GIS, Location Data, Imagery and Machine Learning: Applications and Opportunities using Geospatial Information in Local Government, IEEE OC Computer Society and ACM talk, July 21, 8pm MDT, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/274936
- LinkedIn and Standing Out, IEEE-USA, July 22, 12pm MDT, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/275166
- IEEE Region 6 students 5G Summit, July 24-25, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/275938
- IEEE MOVE Community Outreach Program, SusTech talk, July 27, 7pm, https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/276600
- The Next Opportunity for Engineering Education: Redefining the Model, IEEE EAB and IEEE Education Society, August 3, 9:30am MDT, https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/3287568/A8862F6BB3900E059E35331F10689E1C?partnerref=spcoopjuly2021
- Acing the Industry Job Hunt: A Conversation with HR and Managers, IEEE EAB and IEEE SSC society August 11, 9am MDT, https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/3287540/CE08C3154F0768C176B9169C9F68D59E?partnerref=scoopjuly2021
- 2021 IEEE Annual Election, Aug 16 – Oct 1, https://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/election/index.html
Find out about more upcoming events at these links:
- Region 6 (western US) web site: https://ieee-region6.org/events/category/meetings/
- MGA Scoop – Monthly newsletter about upcoming events and member benefits: https://mga.ieee.org/news/32-ieee-news
- IEEE Virtual Events Calendar – Major upcoming events and those now available on demand. https://spectrum.ieee.org/static/ieee-virtual-events-calendar
- IEEE App. For a comprehensive listing of all IEEE events, including chapter, section and student branch meetings, use the IEEE app available on Google Play and Apple’s App Store. Download the IEEE app today. https://app.ieee.org/
IEEE Member Benefits
IEEE is the world’s largest technical society, bring Members access to the industry’s most essential technical information, career development tools, and many other exclusive benefits. Member surveys show the following areas consistently rate as the most important to them:
- Ability to Stay Technically Current
- Continuing Education
- Career Services
Take advantage of your member benefits. To learn more, see www.ieee.org/benefits .
IEEE members can access information on local events and activities by signing in to IEEE Collabratec®, https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/, an integrated multi-functional platform and global network of technology-focused professionals, leveraging IEEE’s extensive knowledge base and community of thought-leaders. Once signed in, users can:
- Network with other technology professionals
- Establish a professional profile highlighting your accomplishments
- Join and participate in discussions on various technical interests
- Create a group to share and collaborate on projects
- Discover IEEE events and activities throughout the world
Become a Senior Member
Senior member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. IEEE members can self-nominate, or be nominated, for Senior Member grade. Benefits include:
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Letter of commendation: A letter of commendation on the achievement of Senior member grade will be sent to your employer (upon request). Request a letter of commendation.
- Announcements: Announcement of your elevation can be made in section/society and/or local newsletters, newspapers, and notices.
- Complimentary Society Voucher: You may use this voucher to join one new IEEE Society.
- Senior Member plaque: An engraved plaque you can proudly display to colleagues, clients, and employers. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent approximately eight weeks after elevation.
To be eligible for application or nomination, candidates must:
- Be engineers, scientists, educators, technical executives, or originators in IEEE-designated fields
- Have experience reflecting professional maturity
- Have been in professional practice for at least ten years (with some credit for certain degrees)
- Show significant performance over a period of at least five of their years in professional practice
For more information including a list of additional benefits, visit https://www.ieee.org/membership/senior/ .
Updates from the Boise State Electrical and Computer Engineering program
- The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Boise State University is looking for qualified professionals and educators to teach the ECE330/L Microprocessors course and lab. For more information or to apply contact or email your resume/curriculum vitae to Dr. Nader Rafla (email@example.com), Professor and Chair of the ECE Department.
Section Volunteers Needed
As an IEEE member in the Boise section, you are invited to participate in our section operations committee (OpComm). We meet virtually at noon on the third Thursday of the month. The meeting link varies, so the best way to stay informed is to subscribe to our IEEE Boise OpComm mailing list. Contact Walter Bruehl (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be added to the mailing list.
The Boise section is currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Education Activities Chair (Professional education and K-12 STEM outreach activities)
- Student Activities Chair – Your principal responsibility is to promote student activities in all student branches within our section. You will be working with student officers and branch counselors as well as your Regional leadership team to ensure that our section has a strong and vital student activities program.
- Signal Processing Society Chapter Chair
- Membership Development (MD) Chair
If you are interested in any of these positions or volunteering for another role within the section, please contact Randy Rannow at email@example.com .
Our current section officers are listed on our website at https://site.ieee.org/boise/contact/ .
If you have a topic you’d like to suggest or an article you’d like to contribute to a future newsletter, please send it to Chris Gunning at firstname.lastname@example.org . Thank you!